Buda Citizens' Academy
The City has decided to cancel the Buda Citizens' Academy for 2020. We believe the academy works best in person due to its interactive nature. With the rising cases of COVID-19 we felt it was better to hold off until next year. Thank you for understanding.
The City of Buda invites citizens that live within the city limits of Buda to register and participate in its fall 2019 Citizens' Academy. This is your opportunity to get to know how your city government works. Registration starts on July 22, 2019, and ends August 16, 2019.
REGISTER HERE: Buda Citizens Academy 2019 Registration (This link will be active on July 22)
This is a 12 week program beginning on Thursday, August 29, at City Hall from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM. A different department will present each week, giving you an inside look at how they function, what services they provide to the citizens of Buda, and how they are funded. All classes will be on Thursday, except for the Public Works class which will be held on a Saturday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and includes a tour of the Wastewater Treatment Plant. One of the classes is a Buda City Council Meeting, which are on the first and third Tuesday of the month at 6:00 pm. At the end of the course, you will receive a certificate of completion during our Graduation Ceremony. You must attend a minimum of 10 classes in order to receive a certificate.
We need a minimum of 12 citizens to register in order to hold the classes, so come join us and learn about your city and have some fun too. You can register online, or come by City Hall and fill out an application, starting on July 22, 2019. The deadline to register for the course is August 16, 2019. Registration will begin July 22. There are only 30 slots available, so register early during the registration period to secure your spot. You must be 18 years of age or older to participate.
The following is a sample of the subjects and activities that will be included:
- Meet the Mayor, Council Members and the City Manager
- Where does the money come from? Where does the money go?
- Planning and Development: growth management
- Capital Improvement Projects and Engineering
- Learn about the different boards and commissions you can join
- Parks and Recreation special events, recreation facilities, park tour, and rules and regulations
- What can I find and learn at the Buda Public Library?
- How does the city keep you and your loved ones safe?
- Fire and EMS Services
- Emergency Management
- What are we doing to help our city grow without losing our small town feeling?
COME JOIN THE FUN!