Planning, Zoning & Land Development
Planning, Zoning, and Land Development encompasses a broad spectrum of policies, programs, and resources that affect the public. The goal of these programs is to further the welfare of people and their communities by creating convenient, equitable, healthful, efficient, and attractive environments for present and future generations.
The activities of this division fall into the following key areas:
- Comprehensive Planning - The Comprehensive Plan is the overriding policy document for the physical development of the city over the next several years.
- Long Range Planning - This area is dedicated to the long term future of the city, building upon major policy guides such as the Comprehensive Plan. It addresses specific long-term plans, such as the Transportation Master Plan and the Parks and Trails Master Plan, along with any Capital Improvements Plans.
- Annexation - This area focuses on expanding the city’s boundaries and services consistent with its mission to appropriately manage growth.
- Zoning, Land Development, and the Unified Development Code - This area involves immediate issues in planning and development in the City of Buda. This covers areas such as ordinance amendments, subdivision platting, land use regulation, development standards, public hearings for zoning amendments, and sign regulations. Also, this area covers information requests from citizens and other developers, such as zoning determinations and requirements for platting.
- Historic Preservation - Buda is proud of its history and heritage, and actively strives to promote and protect it. This area contains information on historic buildings, regulations that apply to them, and resources that assist in maintaining Buda’s unique identity.
Boards & Commissions
The division is responsible for several boards and commissions, including the Planning and Zoning Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustment and Appeals, Construction Board of Adjustment and Appeals, and the Historic Preservation Commission.