Open Records Request
- Requests must be submitted in writing. Verbal requests will not be accepted.
- Requests must seek documents or data that are in existence at the time of the request. The TPIA does not require the City to analyze information, create new documents, conduct research, or answer questions.
- Certain sensitive information is exempt from release to the general public, and the City is required to withhold it under the TPIA. This includes Social Security numbers, certain financial information, documents and information relating to an ongoing criminal investigation, certain information relating to minors, and information subject to the attorney client privilege. In most cases, the City is obligated by law to request a determination from the Office of the Attorney General of Texas whether information is subject to an applicable exception to the Act before withholding the requested information. If the City must request a determination, you will receive a copy of that request. You will also receive a copy of the Attorney General’s response directly from the Office of the Attorney General of Texas.
- The City is entitled under the TPIA to recover the costs associated with fulfilling a request. The specific schedule of charges is available in the forms & information section below. Generally, requests totaling less than $40.00 in recoverable expenses will be completed and the requestor will be billed for the outstanding balance. Requests that are estimated to exceed $40.00 in recoverable expenses will be suspended and the requestor will be notified to either accept the charges or amend the request. Requests that are estimated to exceed $100.00 in recoverable charges will be suspended and the requestor will be informed that they must either pay the estimated charges in full prior to the request being fulfilled or amend the request.
Requests for Public Information that do not conform to the requirements listed above will be returned to the requestor with a letter detailing the deficiencies. Requests that are properly submitted will generally be responded to within ten (10) business days. All questions relating to the Public Information Request process should be forwarded to the City Clerk's Office.
Public Information Request Forms & Information
Types of Information
Depending on the nature of your request, you may be directed to information available on the City's website or you may be redirected to other local entities. Before completing the form, please review the following for additional information:
- Property Records - Contact the Hays Central Appraisal District (HCAD) esearch.hayscad.com
- Records related to hazardous materials, above-ground storage tanks, environmental liens, or activity use limitations - Contact the Buda Fire Department at www.budafire.org
- Records related to health code violations - Contact the Hays County Health Department 512-939-2150
- Architectural Works are copyrighted materials pursuant to Section 102 of the Copyright Act. 17 USC. which specifically excepts from disclosure “Architectural plans, or any original design of a building created in any tangible medium of expression, is subject to copyright protection as an architectural work.” In this case, the federal law of copyright supersedes the Texas Public Information Act. You will be redirected to the architect to obtain copies; however, if the record is available, you may inspect the record. No copies will be made.
- Residential & Commercial Building Permits prior to 2007 are not available.
- Site Development Plans prior to 2007 are not available.
- Permits from 2014 to the current date may be accessed utilizing the MyPermitNow (www.mygovernmentonline.org) online permitting feature. You will have to create an account to access the system. If you have an address, part of an address, a case number, or permit number, you may access the system to obtain additional details on the permits submitted.
- Code Compliance Records from 2016 to current may also be accessed utilizing the MyPermitNow feature.
Request for Open/Public Information Form
Users may complete the online form or download, save, complete, and submit the form in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Online: Click the image to fill out and submit the form online.
- Or print and mail the form: City of Buda, ATTN: City Clerk's Office, 405 E. Loop St., Building 100, Buda Tx 78610
- Email: CityClerk@ci.buda.tx.us.
- By hand or contract carrier: City Clerk's Office, 405 E. Loop St., Building 100, Buda Tx 78610